THE SOCIETY OF ST. LAWRENCE
THE OGDENSBURG DIOCESAN DIACONATE COMMUNITY
This organization’s name is The Society of St. Lawrence (The Society) and is placed under the patronage of St. Lawrence, deacon and martyr.
The Society exists to attain the following goals through the cooperation of its members:
- Serve the Bishop, Priests, Deacons and the people of the Church of the Diocese of Ogdensburg through good works and support.
- Strengthen the family life of each member through opportunities for social activities for the deacon community.
- Assist the Council of Deacons of the Diocese of Ogdensburg in its pursuit of educational and spiritual initiatives.
- Promote the use of the St. Lawrence pin and other presentations of the deacon logo to deacons and dioceses.
- All deacons possessing the faculties of the Diocese and their wives (including widows of deacons) within the diocese of Ogdensburg, New York are members of The Society.
- Membership begins at the deacon’s ordination.
- Deacons who are subsequently laicized or who are incardinated in another diocese are no longer members of the organization. In addition, the wife or widow of a laicized deacon is not eligible for membership.
- Members who die are no longer counted in the computation of quorums for meeting purposes.
Administration of the Community
The affairs of The Society will be managed by its officers and a Board of Directors.
- The chief executive officer of The Society will be the President.
- The President must be a deacon of the Diocese of Ogdensburg.
- The President is elected to a term of two years at the annual meeting of the Society.
- The President may serve no more than two successive two year terms. A President who has been selected to fill the unexpired term of a duly elected President will be eligible for election to two successive two year terms upon completion of the unexpired term of his predecessor.
- The President is empowered to sign documents (including checks) on behalf of The Society; act as spokesman for The Society; is a member of the Council of Deacons of the Diocese of Ogdensburg; conduct the business of The Society and carry-out the directions of the Board of Directors of The Society.
The Vice President will assist the President as necessary to fulfill the responsibilities as delineated in President #5 above.
- The Vice President must be a deacon of the Diocese of Ogdensburg.
- The Vice President is appointed by the Board of Directors at the annual meeting of the Board of Directors to a term of two years concurrent with the term of the President.
- The Vice President may serve no more than two successive two year terms. A Vice President who has been selected to fill the unexpired term of a duly appointed Vice President will be eligible for appointment to two successive two year terms upon completion of the unexpired term of his predecessor.
- Upon the resignation of the President in mid-term or upon the President’s death or inability to carry-out the duties and responsibilities of his office, the Vice President will automatically succeed to the Presidency.
- If the vacancy of the Presidency is temporary, the Vice President will serve as the President until such time as the President is capable of resuming his duties or leaves the office permanently.
- The Vice President is an authorized signer of checks of The Society.
- Any vacancy in the office of the Vice President, for whatever reason, will be filled by the Board of Directors. The newly appointed Vice President will fill the unexpired term of the Vice President selected per #2 of this section.
- The Treasurer is the chief financial officer of The Society.
- The Treasurer will be a member of The Society.
- The Treasurer is elected to a term of two years at the annual meeting of The Society.
- The Treasurer collects all funds due The Society and deposits same.
- The Treasurer is authorized to open and maintain demand and savings accounts for The Society in depositories approved by the Board of Directors and make such transfers as may be necessary between and among the various approved accounts to conduct the business of The Society.
- The Treasurer Is authorized to sign checks of The Society. Single signatures are authorized for all disbursements of The Society if the check amount is equal to or less than two thousand dollars ($2,000.00). The signatures of two officers authorized in these by-laws are required for single disbursements in excess of two thousand dollars ($2,000.00).
- The Treasurer will give a financial accounting of all funds at each meeting of the Board and will provide financial reports to the Board of Directors through the President on a quarterly basis.
- Any vacancy in the office of the Treasurer, for whatever reason, will be filled by the Board of Directors. The newly appointed Treasurer will fill the unexpired term of the Treasurer selected per #3 of this section.
- The Secretary will be a member of The Society.
- The Secretary of The Society maintains the records and correspondence of The Society.
- Nothing in these by-laws will prevent the Office of Secretary to be held concurrently with the Office of Vice President or the Office of Treasurer.
- The Secretary is appointed by the Board of Directors at the annual meeting of the Board of Directors to a term of two years.
- The Secretary, or in his/her absence an Acting Secretary, will record all minutes and keep the file of all previous meetings of the Board.
- The Secretary will distribute the minutes of all Board meetings to all Board members.
- The Secretary is responsible for maintaining an updated mailing list of all members of The Society.
- The Secretary is an authorized signer of checks of The Society.
- Any vacancy in the office of the Secretary, for whatever reason, will be filled by the Board of Directors. The newly appointed Secretary will fill the unexpired term of the Secretary selected per #4 of this section.
Board of Directors
- The governing body of The Society is the Board of Directors.
- The elected members of the Council of Deacons of the Diocese of Ogdensburg, the Episcopal Vicar for Pastoral Personnel for the Diocese of Ogdensburg and the officers named above will collectively form The Society’s Board of Directors.
- In matters requiring a ballot, each Director has one vote on the Board.
- A simple majority of the Directors present at any duly constituted meeting of the Board will suffice for adoption of action by the Board.
Powers Reserved to the Bishop
The Bishop of Ogdensburg shall have the right to remove any officer or director of the Society for any just reason in his sole discretion. Upon revocation of faculties of any member, such member shall cease to be a member of the Society.
Report to the Diocese
The Society shall file a report to the Diocese of all revenues and expenditures of the Society each year. Such report shall be forwarded to the Episcopal Vicar for Pastoral Personnel in the month of July each year.
- An Annual Meeting of the members of The Society will be held each calendar year at the call of the President.
- Additional meetings of The Society may be called at the discretion of the President and/or the Board of Directors.
- The Secretary will attest to the presence of a quorum for any membership meeting. At least ten percent of the members of The Society must be present at a meeting of The Society to constitute a quorum. Only members are eligible to vote. A simple majority of the members present voting “yes” will be required to adopt any action of the members.
- Officers elected at any annual meeting will assume their responsibilities immediately upon certification of the election by the Board of Directors.
The President may, as circumstances require, appoint such committees as may be appropriate to conduct the business of The Society. For example, the President may appoint a Budget Committee annually; or name a By-Laws Review Committee every other year. The President will appoint a Chairperson to any committee of The Society. The Chairperson will, in turn, invite to membership on said committee members of The Society.
Pin Ministry Coordinator
The President will appoint a member to serve as the Pin Ministry Coordinator. The Pin Ministry Coordinator will work with the Treasurer, if the Coordinator is not the Treasurer, to assure the proper accounting of all receipts and disbursements related to this ministry.
Amendments and Reviews
- These By-laws will be reviewed periodically for updating and renewal.
- Proposed amendments to these By-laws must be distributed to the membership at least ten (10) full days in advance of the date of the vote.
- These By-laws may be amended with the approval of three-quarters of the members present and voting at a membership meeting. Any amendment must be approved by the Bishop of the Diocese of Ogdensburg before it can take effect.
This document will become effective when it has been approved by the membership and by the Bishop of Ogdensburg .
|Deacon Mark Bennett
President, The Society of St. Lawrence
|Most Reverend Terry R. LaValley
Bishop, Diocese of Ogdensburg, NY
Dated:May 4, 2016
Dated:May 4, 2016